Pesto: one of my total fave sauces. You can make it with anything really. Any green, any veggie, combined with any nut, olive oil, and acid. Don’t forget the salt and heat component. Cheese is optional in my book, just make sure you have something that represents the flavor.
I put this pesto on my Healthy Homemade Pasta with Roasted Tomatoes, but keep in mind, pesto transforms any dish. You can:
- Mix it with a cooked whole grain
- Top a whole grain pizza
- Toss it on veggies
- Use it as a dip
Sky is the limit! Think big. Give this one a try. But hey, feel free to try it with kale, baby collards, or another one of your favorite greens. Whatever floats your flavor profile boat. 🙂
Spinach Almond Pesto Recipe
- 4 cups spinach
- 1/2 cup almonds raw, unsalted
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 TBS pecorino Romano cheese or Vegan Parmesan cheese or 1 tsp ume plum vinegar
- 2 TBS fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 - 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup high quality extra virgin olive oil
- Toast almonds at 350 degrees for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown.
- Put all ingredients except olive oil into a food processor and blend.
- Stop to scrape sides of bowl. Make sure to scrape down any large chunks of spinach.
- Continue to blend the mixture and add olive oil in a stream through the top of the food processor.
- Once olive oil is added and pesto is blended, adjust salt and pepper to your taste.
Need help making spinach pesto?
Watch my video: Cook with Me: How to Make Pesto
Looking for a traditional Basil Pesto Recipe? Got that, too!
As always, hope you enjoy as much as I do!