How to Make Vegan Frosting Low Glycemic
People ask me all the time how to make vegan frosting. Once I tell them, the next question out of their mouths is how to make it low glycemic. That answer is a little more complicated.
This cinnamon frosting pairs with my Vegan Chocolate Spice Cupcake (which I hope you check out). It took me some time to figure out, and I’m sure I’ll continue to play with it. That’s the thing about a recipe…it’s rarely ever done.
You can find tons of recipes for vegan “buttercreams.” But they all use powdered sugar. Organic powdered sugar works fine in a pinch, at least the sugar is unrefined. But it’s still white sugar. If you’re like me and you make all kinds of efforts to avoid that, give this recipe a try. I think you’ll dig it.
Low Glycemic Vegan Frosting: Cinnamon
- 1/2 cup non-dairy butter substitute I like Earth Balance
- 1/2 cup non-hydrogenated shortening Earth balance makes shortening sticks or Spectrum makes a tub
- 3.5 cups low glycemic powdered sugar: see link for recipe below can use organic powdered sugar
- pinch sea salt
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp fresh nutmeg optional
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-4 tbsp unsweetened non dairy milk
- Beat butter substitute and shortening on medium speed until fluffy.
- Beat in powdered sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and pinch of salt with on medium speed for 3 minutes.
- Beat in vanilla and unsweetened non dairy milk on medium speed for 4-7 minutes until icing is fluffy.
- Use immediately.
- Store in fridge.
Need the recipe for low glycemic powdered sugar?
Check out how to make LG powdered sugar!
Want more recipes like this?
Sign up for my email list. You’ll get recipes, videos, and a preview of my upcoming cookbook!
Leave a Reply