Don’t Go Blaming Cupcakes
Is the cupcake rage over? Has our dwindled attention span jumped the cupcake ship and climbed aboard the next best small hip dessert? If so, what is it? Clue me in.
These are some of the deep philosophical food questions Recipe Redux posed to us for our April challenge. Food does change the world, you know. Imagine how miserable you’d be without your favorite food. Or if you were forced to live on something you hate.
Woody Harrelson travels across the country in a zombie apocolyspse searching for one thing. A twinkie. If the world were ending and everyone you loved had turned into a flesh eating monster, what would you search the earth for? A twinkie sounds about right to me. Of course, I’d search for the low glycemic, wheat-free, dairy-free version.
It will take a zombie apocalypse to end the cupcake rage for me. The unpretentious, laid back, little sister to cake, cupcakes make everything more fun. Eat them with your hands. Get a little dirty. Go crazy with flavors. Dig in and just bite it.
Who doesn’t love a cupcake? Maybe someone soulless. Or someone who doesn’t know a good cupcake. Either way, eater error. Don’t go blaming cupcakes. If made well, they’re here to stay!
How to Make Vegan Chocolate Spice Cupcakes
Dairy-free, Egg-free, Refined Sugar-free
Vegan Chocolate Cupcake Recipe
- 1/4 cup Earth Balance
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1/2 cups palm sugar
- 2 TBS unsweetened unsweetened non dairy milk
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp fresh ground nutmeg
- 2 1/2 cups spelt flour
- 3/4 cup non-alkalized unsweetened cocoa powder or raw cacoa powder
- 1 tsp espresso powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup hot water
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Line muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- Add apple cider vinegar to non dairy milk. Set aside and let curdle. (I like coconut or cashew milk best, but if you are avoiding nuts, you can use any non-dairy milk.)
- Sift together all dry ingredients and set aside.
- In a food processor with the metal blade combine the butter substitute, applesauce, and palm sugar until well blended. Stop and scrape down the sides.
- Add half of the dry ingredients and gently pulse until blended.
- Add the milk mixture and gently pulse until blended.
- Scrape down the sides, add the rest of the dry ingredients and gently pulse until blended.
- Add the hot water and gently pulse until blended.
- Scoop batter with ice cream scoop into muffin pan liners. Fill about 2/3 full.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 20-22 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean and cake springs back when touched.
How to Make Cinnamon Vegan “Buttercream”
Cinnamon Spice Vegan Buttercream Recipe
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance
- 1/2 cup non-hydrogenated shortening
- 3.5 cups low glycemic powdered sugar: link to recipe below you can use organic powdered sugar in a 1:1 ratio for low glycemic powdered sugar, it just won't be an lg sugar
- pinch sea salt
- 1 TBS cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp fresh nutmeg optional
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-4 tbsp unsweetened non dairy milk
- Beat butter substitute and shortening on medium speed until fluffy.
- Beat in organic powdered sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and pinch of salt with on medium speed for 3 minutes.
- Beat in vanilla and non dairy milk on medium speed for 3-5 minutes until icing is fluffy.
Need the Recipe for Low Glycemic Powdered Sugar?
Here’s how to make your own Low Glycemic Powdered Sugar.
If you want more recipes like this vegan chocolate cupcake recipe:
Sign up for my email list. You’ll receive recipes like it, as well as a preview of my cookbook!
Leave a Reply