My gluten-free, grain-free, vegan snack that satisfies every craving (well, almost)…
This month Recipe Redux asked us to share one of our favorite healthy snack recipes. Some days I feel like I live on snacks. I don’t eat large meals and I don’t always “sit down” for a formal meal. Snacks rock. What makes a good one?
This crunch immediately came to mind. I like things I can easily pick up. I like crunch. I like a hit of salt with a little sweet and spice, all those flavors together, in a bite. If it’s a snack, I’ve only got a handful of bites, so they better be good.
Whether I’ve been cooking for hours, am running out the door to yoga class, or just need a little pick me up to curb that annoying hunger pang in the car or at the computer, this crunch does it all. It even makes a fantastic, healthier snack option to put out at game or movie time.
What’s so great about this sweet and spicy cashew chipotle crunch?
- Good fats fill you up. Packed with nuts and seeds, this snack fills you up, so you only need a handful. Since fats take two hours longer to burn than carbs and proteins, you won’t get hungry again as soon.
- Good fats help curb sugar cravings. If you go for sugar when you snack, (my name is Angela and I love dark chocolate), have this nut and seed crunch on hand. A handful should keep the sugar away – and pounds – away! Small amounts of low glycemic sugars should help control blood sugar, especially with the nuts, while satisfying any craving.
- Spice can help increase the metabolism. Say thank you to that chipotle. If you want more, put some cayenne in there. Spice is your friend when it comes to metabolism and cravings.
What if You Don’t Like Pepitas or Cashews?
No worries. Use almonds, walnuts, or pistachios. Try sunflowers or pumpkin seeds. Make your own combo. Add more spice if you like. As with all food, make it your own!
Cashew Pepita Chipotle Crunch
Dairy-free, Gluten-free, Grain-free, Refined Sugar-free, Wheat-free, Vegan, Soy-free
Cashew Pepita Chipotle Crunch Recipe
- 1 cup cashews raw, unsalted
- 1 cup pepitas raw, unsalted
- 2 TBS coconut nectar
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp chipotle powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 3/4 tsp coarse sea salt
Ahead of Time
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or a Silpat.
- Crush cashews into pieces roughly the size of the pepitas (or any seed you choose to use.)
Heat and Toast
- Heat the coconut sap, maple syrup, chipotle powder, cumin, paprika, and coarse sea salt in a small sauce pan over medium low to low heat. Let simmer lightly for 3-4 minutes.
- Heat pepitas and cashews in a large skillet over medium high heat until toasted. (About 5 minutes.)
- Once lightly toasted, coat with the seasoned syrup from the sauce pan.
- Mix well quickly, making sure that all the nuts and seeds are coated. Let cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly.
Cool and Break
- Spread out onto a Silpat or parchment paper. Let completely cool.
- Break into brittle or bite size pieces.