Breakfast is my toughest meal. Without gluten, dairy, or eggs, I typically go for smoothies, fruit, and plain, non-dairy yogurt. When summer hits, I add the Acai Bowl into the rotation, and it’s always one of my faves. Packed with sweet berries, acai, and banana with your favorite non-dairy milk, whipped up into a smooth, creamy, sorbet-like frozen custard, it’s like dessert for breakfast. Does it get any better?
What is Acai?
Acai is an indigenous berry found in the rain forests of the Amazon, and for centuries has been believed to be a healing, immune-stimulating, energy-boosting fruit. Acai berries are low in sugar, but contain a good amount of iron, calcium, fiber, and vitamin A. They also contain anthocyanin compounds which give fruits and vegetables their color and team up with flavonoids to defend the body against harmful free radicals. In fact, acai berries contain 10 to 30 times more anthocyanin power than red wine.
Research reveals this antioxidant-rich berry may help:
- Promote heart health
- Resist harmful organisms
- Aid weight loss
- Aid digestion
- Promote skin health
- Reduce irritation
- Boost immune system
- Improve cellular health
- Boosts energy
- Improve mental function
- Anti-aging effect
Where Do You Get Acai Pulp?
I use the Sambazon Acai Pulp. I find it at Whole Foods or most natural markets. I’ve even found it on Amazon. I like this acai pulp because it’s organic, and most articles I’ve read recommend consuming organic Acai to get the most antioxidants. When it comes to antioxidants less is not more. More is better! Plus, Sambazon offers an unsweetened organic pulp, which is a great option.
How to Get the Most Out of Your Acai Bowl
I like to add protein powder to make mine a true power breakfast. That way I get all those rich antioxidants and fiber from my fruit, a little good fat from my milk, and 20g of protein plus a little gluten-free granola to keep me going.
As with all smoothies, you can add other powders or supplements. Just be sure to adjust your liquid amount if you start adding a large amount of add-ins. Your Acai bowl should be thick, but smooth and creamy.
Top it with your favorite fruits and some granola and/or coconut for crunch. It will start to melt fast, so you need to eat it right away! Trust me, that won’t be a problem. 🙂
Power Breakfast Acai Bowl
Dairy-free, Egg-free, Gluten-free, Grain-free, Refined Sugar-free, Paleo-friendly, Soy-free
- ½ of a banana
- 1 100-g (3.5-oz) pack frozen unsweetened acai berry pulp
- 1 cup mixed frozen berries
- ½ cup unsweetened non-dairy milk (I like coconut or cashew best, but almond is the classic milk used)
- 1 scoop protein powder
- 1 TBS nut butter or 2 TBS nuts (for good fat if you need more calories to burn slowly)
- 1½ tsp flax oil (for super Omega 3 boost!)
- ½ cup blueberries
- ¼ cup raspberries
- ¼ cup strawberries (or goji berries for super antioxidant power!)
- ½ cup pineapple
- ¼ cup gluten-free granola
- 3 TBS shredded coconut (optional)
- Or use any fruit you like!
- Before opening your acai pack, run it under water for 5 seconds to thaw and break the frozen pulp into smaller pieces
- In a high powered blender, add banana, acai pulp, frozen berries and non-dairy milk. (I find if I add ingredients in that order they blend better)
- Blend on low until larger chunks are broken down, then gradually increase speed to high once ingredients have come together. If your blender needs help mixing the ingredients, add a small splash of milk to help.
- Pour into a bowl and quickly add your desired toppings. Your Acai Bowl will melt quickly, especially in summer!