I think it’s no secret at this point that I love dark chocolate. It’s my biggest vice. I don’t hide it.
One of the great things about dark chocolate is that a little goes a long way. You don’t need a huge serving to satisfy. When I create chocolate recipes I often choose to use unsweetened chocolate so I can control the kind and amount of sweetener I use. I often give a range because some of us like our dark chocolate quite bittersweet, and others prefer it a little sweeter. Eat it how you enjoy it most. After all, it’s meant to be a treat.
How Do You Make Mousse Without Dairy?
There are a couple different options. In this recipe I kept it simple using avocado, a healthy fat that gives a creamy texture that whips well. I also use coconut milk, which whips great, adding a fluffier texture than other non-dairy milks. Those two combined create a creamy fluffiness that I won’t say is the same as egg whites, but I will say, is quite tasty and addictive!
Vegan Dark Chocolate Mousse
Dairy-free, Egg-free, Gluten-free, Grain-free, Refined Sugar-free, Soy-free
- 1 cup ripe avocado
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup coconut milk (full fat is creamiest)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tsp espresso powder
- 8-10 TBS maple syrup, raw honey, or coconut nectar
- pinch sea salt
- Melt chocolate on low heat. Let cool to room temp.
- Whip full fat coconut milk in blender or food processor. Reserve one cup.
- Add all ingredients except chocolate and blend until smooth, fluffy, and creamy.
- Scrape down sides and add chocolate as rest of ingredients blend until fluffy and creamy.
- Dish into serving cups and refrigerate until chilled (1-2 hours) and serve.
- Makes 8 two-ounce serving cups.