A Favorite Go-To Healthy Side Dish
This simple rice salad is quick to prepare with a big pay-off in taste. Eat as a high-fiber side dish, or add lentils or beans to make complete protein and eat as the main component for a tasty, healthy meal. YUM! High-fiber, complex carb salads with good fats like this one are excellent fuel sources for the body, and while they keep you full and satisfied because of the fiber and good fat, the body burns these calories, which is why you lose weight eating whole grains and good fats!
How to Make Cranberry Walnut Rice Salad: Easy, Healthy, Delicious!
- 2 packages pre-cooked wild rice medley (You need about 5 cups of cooked rice. You can use any kind you like. I like organic pre-cooked options because it's a huge time saver.)
- 1 large carrot
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 cup broccoli
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries (apple juice sweetened)
- ¼ cup dressing
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- pepper to taste
- ½ of a large shallot
- ½ cup pomegranate juice (no sugar added)
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup fresh basil
- ½ tsp maple syrup
- ¼ tsp+ sea salt
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- Put all ingredients except olive oil in a small food processor or blender and whiz until all ingredients are incorporated.
- With the processor running add olive oil in a slow steady stream and whiz until all ingredients are emulsified.
- Put pre-cooked rice and barley in a medium to large mixing bowl. (Follow instructions on package.)
- Cut your carrots, celery and broccoli into ¼ inch pieces.
- Chop your walnuts to desired size. (I like to toast mine first for more flavor, but you don't have to.)
- Dress salad with 3-4 TBS dressing, or as much as you like.
- Finish with a little salt and pepper and you're set. Mix gently until well blended.
- Eat up!