How to Make Healthy, Delicious Mediterranean Quinoa
Dairy-free, Egg-free, Gluten-free, Soy-free
Ingredients for Cooking the Quinoa
- 1 cup quinoa rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium stock chicken or veggie
- 1/2 cup tomato juice reserved from a 14 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic smashed and diced
- generous pinch sea salt
Ingredients for Assembling the Quinoa
- 1/2 cup green onions 3-4 or red onion
- 1 cup diced tomatoes reserved from the same 14 oz can of diced tomatoes above
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh basil chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced olives
- One 15 oz can of no sodium garbanzo beans I like Eden organic
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6-8 TBS white balsamic dressing depending how zippy you like it
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup fresh basil unchopped
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
Ahead of Time
- Rinse the quinoa in a bowl or fine strainer until the water runs clear then drain.
- Open the can of tomatoes and separate the tomatoes from the juice, pouring the 1/2 cup of tomato juice into a 2 cup measurer. If there isn't a 1/2 cup of tomato juice in the can, just use more chicken stock to measure 2 cups of liquid.
- Peel, smash, and dice one clove garlic.
Cooking the Quinoa
- Bring stock and tomato juice to a boil.
- Once it boils add a generous pinch of sea salt to the liquid, add the quinoa and garlic clove, and reduce the heat to bring the quinoa to a simmer.
- Let it cook covered for 16-18 minutes on low to medium low heat until cooked.
- Then turn off heat. Let the quinoa sit for 5-10 minutes before fluffing it with a fork.
Prep the Rest
- While the quinoa is cooking cut the onion and fresh herbs.
- If you are using the beans, rinse and drain them well.
- Slice the olives.
Make the Dressing
- In a blender or food processor combine all ingredients except olive oil. Whiz until blended.
- With processor running, slowly pour in olive oil in a slow steady stream. Whiz until ingredients are blended and emulsified.
Finish the Quinoa
- After you have fluffed the quinoa and finished the dressing, add all of the ingredients you are putting into the quinoa except for the dressing and lightly mix.
- Add the dressing a TBS at time.
- Gently mix and taste to decide how much you dressing you like for flavor. I use about 2-3 TBS, but you may prefer less or more than that - it will depend how many of the ingredients you choose to use and the overall volume of the dish.