What Makes a Healthy Breakfast?
Breakfast is my toughest meal to figure out. It seems like the easy options aren’t healthy, but who has time to make an elaborate healthy breakfast each morning.
What works for me? Protein, a good source of carbohydrate, and a small amount of a good fat. Here are 3 ideas to start your day with an easy, healthy breakfast.
1. High Protein Smoothie (2 Minutes)
A smoothie is a great place for silken tofu. Tofu takes the flavor of whatever it’s with and it’s a complete protein. Check out my High Protein Berry Smoothie Recipe.
2. 2 Scrambled Eggs OR 1/2 Cup of Fake Eggs/Egg Whites (5 Minutes)
Real eggs can be healthy if eaten in limited quantities as part of a balanced diet for those who don’t have issues with cholesterol or an egg allergy. Fake eggs and egg whites provide all the protein without the fat and cholesterol for those who need to limit them.
- Toss in veggies and avocado to up the fiber and good fat content.
- To avoid eating toast (which is a refined carb, even if whole grain), throw in some leftover whole grain. Quinoa, amaranth, even leftover baked polenta all work well. If you’re tied to toast: a piece of whole grain toast is better than white toast.
Sneaky Tip: Bake a large healthy frittata on the weekend and just heat up the leftovers during the week.
3. Quick Oats, Not Instant (5 Minutes)
Quick oats are a whole grain. Oatmeal, a good complex carb, takes longer to burn off, so it staves off hunger.
- To sweeten your oatmeal without adding sugar, add 1/4 – 1/3 cup of unsweetened applesauce and cinnamon to 1/2 cup of cooked oats.
- Top with a cut up apple (with skin) or berries.
- Top with 1 TBS ground flax seed or nuts.
- Check out my PB&J Oatmeal Recipe.
Sneaky Tip: You can soak your oats in hot water the night before and they’ll be ready to eat in the morning without cooking. They take about 15 minutes, so you could even do it in the morning and then eat when you’re ready.
A healthy breakfast isn’t so hard once you get some ideas. What do you eat for a healthy breakfast?
Leave a Reply