When I read the November Recipe Redux Challenge to share a healthy, ready-to-go mix, I said to my husband, “But I don’t use any mixes. I create everything from scratch.” Should I create a mix? I don’t know, it wasn’t feeling like me. You can’t force the food. I thought I’d have to skip this month. I got nothin’ on this one.
Then I made tacos for dinner. A staple in my house. Glorious, flavorful, healthy, satisfying, juicy, give you a little kick in the pants, tacos. And I remembered a Facebook follower (Jen Hassler, I think), asking for my taco seasoning mix recipe as a comment on one of my taco pictures. It suddenly all became so clear. I will share my homemade taco seasoning mix. Jen Hassler, this one is for you! From nothin’ to somethin’ just like that. 🙂
Have Gluten-free Tacos Ready to Go!
Come home from a long day, didn’t get to stop at the store, and you need a quick dinner? Just grab your ground turkey or chicken, or your beans and rice, cook with your homemade taco seasoning mix and you are good to go. If you choose to add fresh veggies and aromatics, all the better!
Yes, you can add fresh garlic and onion when cooking your meat or beans. Just know that with this mix, you don’t have to. I worked to balance the flavors and spices so that it will add a punch of flavor to any lean protein on its own. How fantastic is that?
Put it all on a gluten-free corn tortilla or a grain-free cassava one and you are ready to eat!
Remember, you have options for healthy, flavorful food! And for me, that feels phenomenal. I hope it does for you, too.
Make Free Food Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix in Minutes
Dairy-free, Egg-free, Gluten-free, Refined Sugar-free, Wheat-free, Vegan, Soy-free, Nut-free
Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix Recipe
- 2 TBS coarse sea salt
- 2 TBS cumin
- 2 TBS dried cilantro
- 1 TBS chili powder
- 1 TBS chipotle powder
- 1 TBS paprika
- 1 TBS garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp red pepper flakes optional, depending how much heat you like
- Measure out and mix all ingredients together in a small mixing bowl.
- Make sure they are blended well.
- Pour into a small jar. (I use an old spice jar that I've washed, dried, and relabeled.)
- Use 1 1/2 - 2 tbsp of taco seasoning mix for 1 lb. of meat OR 1 lb. of beans and rice if going vegetarian, depending how spicy you like it.
- Recipe makes enough to season about 6 lbs of your favorite lean meat.